Asparagus Flamande in 10 steps, by Bob Blauw
- 2 min read
White asparagus season has started! This means our local stores and supermarkets will have them in stock soon. It could be that you cannot find your usual ingredients for your favourite asparagus recipe, but do not worry! Our talented HTH Instructor, Bob Blauw, shared the recipe with the steps to make a fantastic Asparagus Flamande with ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboard!
Ingredients for 4 persons
For the asparagus
• 24 white asparagus
• 10 gr pepper and salt mix
• 80 gr honey
• ½ sliced orange
• ½ sliced lemon
• 2 pieces bayleaf
• Pinch of 5 spices
• 50 gr butter
For the garnish
• 4 eggs
• 350 gr peeled potatoes cubes
• 12 slices boiled ham
How do we make an Asparagus Flamande in 10 steps?
1. Rinse and peel the asparagus with a potato peeler, starting from just under the head and work your way down.
2. Cut about 2 cm of the woody bits off the ends. Place the asparagus and the ends in a large pot.
3. Add 15 gr pepper and salt mix, 80 gr honey, the orange and lemon slices, bayleaf, 5 spices and 50 gr butter on top.
4. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Temper the heat slightly and allow to simmer for about 4 minutes.
5. Take off heat and leave the asparagus in the hot water for 20 minutes, or until tender.
6. Gently drain the cooked asparagus. The liquid and the ends can be used as asparagus stock for soup for example.
7. Boil the potato cubes in salted water for 10 minutes
8. Also boil the eggs for 8 mins, then cool in cold water, peel and cut in quarters.
9. Make the Hollandaise sauce
10. Arrange on a serving plate and enjoy!
You do not know how to make Hollandaise sauce? Do not worry, here is Bob Blauw’s secret recipe:
• 4 egg yolks
• 125 ml good quality dry white wine
• 125 gr butter
• ½ lemon juice
• 20 gr honey
How do we make Hollandaise sauce?
1. Place the egg yolks and wine in a metal bowl and beat with a whisk until light and thick.
2. Place it ”au bain marie”, on a pan with warm water.
3. Beating continuously until the sauce thickens, over a low heat on the stove. Set aside.
4. In another sauce pan melt the butter, cool down and add the melted butter in a thin trickle, while continuing to stir with a whisk.
5. Season sauce with the remaining honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper mix. Whisk again and set aside.
Are you going to make it? Then share your picture on Instagram, don’t forget to tag us! @hotelschoolthehague